Dev Diary: 12 May

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dev Diary: 12 May

Welcome to the Fightlings Dev Diaries, which are our way of peeling ourselves away from our screens and offering a glimpse into our game development process. This week's entry spotlights Viktor, producer of Fightlings:

How did you get into game production?

Mainly through Games Academy, as well as through various contacts from my previous work as a programmer.

What are some of the programming challenges you've faced in creating Fightlings?

One of the biggest challenges is the communication between client and server. This needs to not only run correctly, but also be lag-free for players. For optimization you need many different areas of programming, which is what makes it so exciting, since nearly everyone can contribute something to the process.

What is a typical day working on Fightlings like?

Tea -> Email -> Pray -> Stand Up -> Lose Hope -> Meetings -> Beer

Describe a system you created for Fightlings. What was your process in creating it?

As a producer I'm involved in all the systems, because I need to have an overview of how each part connects with the others. Directly, I have only built our localization system, which allows texts to be changed and uploaded directly to the game at any time.

What is your approach to team management during a development cycle?

At the beginning I always try to establish a clear and achievable goal, to clarify all necessary steps with the team and to recognize all possible obstacles beforehand so we can react accordingly. Then I leave it to everyone to make their own decisions, which will together lead toward achieving this goal.

How has the gameplay of Fightlings evolved over the past year?

In October 2016 we made a lot of changes to our duel system and also added the level system for creatures, which made combat much more tactical and exciting.

What do you see as the future for mobile games and apps?

The mobile market will be strongly aligned with the AAA market, and it will become more and more difficult to initiate small projects. This will be particularly difficult for small developers and innovative concepts. Marketing is even more important than the actual development of the games, as the competition is getting bigger and bigger. VR will not play a significant role for at least the next two years.

Stay tuned for more Dev Diaries over the coming weeks.
      : : F I G H T L I N G S : :